Just in case you wondered  

Posted by believingthomas

I was invited to join a facebook group a few minutes ago by someone that we used to "go to church with" in another city. She doesn't know that a few years ago we left the fold of The Lord's Church. So I was invited to attend a group called The Lord's Church For those of you not on facebook, I will copy the description I found (which was what I feared). The groups says,

Anyone is invited to join this group if you are a member of the church of Christ. Please tell everyone about this group.
I am going to try and keep up with different events concerning congregations, camps, singings, gospel meetings, lectureships, etc. Please post anything happening in your area.
I bring this up because in the discussion of how to move forward as Post-Restorationist's, many, many of the members of Churches of Christ still deeply feel and believe they are the only ones.

I find that these comments and what I perceive as arrogance and superiority are extremely offensive to me. Just wondering if others see much of this and how you deal with it?

This entry was posted on Monday, May 4, 2009 at Monday, May 04, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Anonymous  

I still see this a lot. In fact the congregation which I attend, which in my view is fairly traditional, has been "disfellowshiped" for desiring to have ecumenical dialogues and service projects with various denominations.

I think there are two things that are extremely important in dealing with this kind of attitude.

First, realize that you and I have had similar attitudes. For us it may have presented itself in different ways, but we have all had feelings of superiority for one reason or another, and someone showed us grace and helped us over come that attitude.

Second, I think it is important to avoid fruitless arguments and let our lives speak for us. For me, it was seeing folks whose lives were undeniably Christ-like that changed my views. It took years and years though for me to "come around."

Both of those things point to patience and grace. We must be gracious with our brothers and sisters who think they are the only ones, and we must be patient with them as change usually comes slowly. God has been this way with us.

May 5, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I had a bad experience trying to join a Brazilian Church of Christ ning site a few months ago. The missionary who maintains the site checked out my blog before approving me, noticed Mike Cope in the blogroll and replied with the suggestion that I wouldn't really fit it. I summarize, but that's the long and short of it.

This after a long train of difficulties ever since I first started associating with Churches of Christ. I was hurt and angry, and expressed my deep frustration on my blog and on Facebook.

One of the men at the church I attend saw it on my blog and wanted to call a meeting to discuss my problems. He didn't want to help. He wanted judgment and for me to be removed from the preaching roster until I came around.

Now he uses Facebook to spy on me. I don't drop him as a friend because if I did, there'd be more confusion and pain.

BTW, completely reworked my blog after that and I don't discuss the Church of Christ or RM there anymore. Sick of it.

May 5, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Post a Comment